The Ultimate Guide to Summer Landscaping in Indiana
The summer heat in Indiana can go as high as 83 degrees Fahrenheit. High temperatures can take a toll on your yard, so you need to maintain it accordingly. We’re here to help. This landscaping in Indiana guide provides tips for mowing, watering, fertilizing, and controlling weeds in your yard during the summer.
Summer Landscaping Tips for Mowing
Mowing your lawn properly keeps it beautiful and healthy. Here are a few tips.
- Mow Tall. Mowing your turf to a height of 3.5 to 4 inches to improves its drought tolerance as roots grow deeper. Also, the shade from the tall turf conserves water in the root system and prevents the growth of weeds. Long turf also has more surface area for photosynthesis.
- Use Weed Eaters and Edgers. These machines can deliver quick results provided you use them correctly and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Don’t Bag. Allow the grass clippings to nourish your lawn as they quickly decompose and return to the soil.
Landscaping Tips for Watering and Fertilizing During the Summer
Water is essential to your lawn surviving and thriving, but watering too much or too little can harm it. Here’s how to achieve the right balance.
- Water your lawn twice a week in the early morning hours to ensure the water doesn’t evaporate under the midday sun or drown the roots in the evening.
- If you have an in-ground irrigation system, program it appropriately. Otherwise, manually irrigate your lawn with 1 to 1.5 inches of water weekly and adjust accordingly depending on the amount of rain your area receives.
- Water the edges of your lawn a bit more to ensure excess heat from the surrounding brick or cement does not cause the grass to become brown.
If your lawn looks dry despite you watering it as recommended, don’t worry. That’s it way of protecting itself from the excess heat. It stays dormant when the supply of water and nutrients is insufficient. When this happens, the grass withholds nutrients in the roots from going to the blades. Adding fertilizer helps heal damaged turf, promote root growth and maintain the lawn’s density.
Summer Landscaping Tips for Controlling Weeds
The conditions under which different weeds grow vary widely. Some thrive under high temperatures and minimal water during summer in Indiana, so effective weed control is necessary. Here are a few tips.
- Apply weed control consistently to prevent the weeds from developing resistance to herbicides.
- Avoid mowing lower to a height of 3.5 to 4 inches to starve weeds of nutrients they might have used to invade your yard.
- Seed your lawn in the fall to ensure weeds have no room to grow in case you have a thin lawn.
Consult a landscaping professional to achieve the best outcome. They’ll help you choose herbicides that are safe and effective. They’ll also help you apply the herbicides correctly. Don’t wait until you’re frustrated with the condition of your yard to call the pros.
Hiring a Reliable Landscaping Service To Maintain Your Yard During the Summer
Following the tips discussed in this article will help keep your yard healthy and attractive even under the scorching summer heat. You need high-quality landscaping supplies, including natural mulch, soils, rock and stone to get the best results on your yard. Call McCarty Mulch now at 317-885-1985 and get all the supplies you need for landscaping in Indiana.